Sunday, October 23, 2011

School Rules #1: The Elevator Encounter


I have decided to start a section on School Rules.  After this first half of the semester, I have found countless things that I considered to be common sense, good ideas, and/or normal manners that most people just aren't understanding... so without further ado...The Elevator Encounter: enjoy.

Personally, I don't think elevators are a grandiose concept to master.  But for almost everyone in my dorm who doesn't quite understand how they work and/or proper manners on them, lets take a closer look.

1. Possibly the first thing I learned in regards to elevators as a child was the entering and exiting maneuver.  People who are on the elevator get off, and then those wanting to enter go next.  Everyone at school treats this as a free-for-all and mass chaos follows.  pull yourself together, people, and wait your turn!

2. True Story:  I was on the elevator the other day, doing my own thing, and  a girl gets on.  I say hello... no response.  I ask what floor she is going to, so I can press the button for her in a kind gesture...no response.  really!? and I know for a fact that your are neither deaf nor mute!

So lets remember, don't be afraid to acknowledge other peoples presence when in an elevator... because its just going to be awkward if it gets stuck and you are trapped in there with them.

3. Last but not least, be aware of other people on the elevator!  It is completely unnecessary to hold the elevator for someone who hasn't even made it into the building yet when other people are on it.  true story! can you believe it!?  We all literally waited (and yes, I clocked it) 1:02 for a girl who held the elevator for a friend.  she had 5 less friends after it was over...

the truth

So, let'ts take a moment to realize there are proper manners, and a system to using the elevator. 

Elevators are a privilege, and if you can't master it...take the stairs!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment